Show cart
Design & Illustration

Tanned? Perhaps not but a good workout it was...

Packing on Bua beach. Photo: Sassa Buregren
Packing on Bua beach. Photo: Sassa Buregren

No, it wasn´t the optimal choice of a paddling week. Of nine days I had force six or more on five, of these over force seven on four and eight on one, and rain on four days, two of them with 24 hour-rain. But headwinds and currents are great for building stamina...

(Note that the photos with a zoom icon lower right are clickable for a larger version). I have also added a chart - though with low resolution since the trip covered five full-size charts.

All this goes into the Njord? Photo: Sassa Buregren
All this goes into the Njord? Photo: Sassa Buregren

The not cooperative weather caused my planning to collapse already on day three. I just couldn´t resist surfing out west along fjord Stigfjorden in a force six and with a mean speed of six knots. A couple of days later the opposite situation occurred and I found myself surfing back in a force seven. Who am I to turn the weather down when invited to a dance?

Packing at Bua beach
The Njord is a small and tight kayak – obvious from this photo - not for those who bring the kitchen sink. Photo: Sassa Buregren

But more often the old saying that "the definition of course is the direction from where the wind comes" became true. The last three days, a finishing stretch just to get home, had a lot to offer. It began in Stenungsund with a fresh force seven headwind. The waves were not a problem initially since the fjord Hakefjorden is partly protected behind a chain of islands – approx. three-four feet to begin with. But in the afternoon further down south the wind increased to force eight with gusts into nine (as reported by a passing Coast Guard boat, from which was asked what the *¤#? I was up to), and the waves reached five feet and breaking. I came to a dead stop in spite of working hard and there was nothing to do but go ashore and camp for the night.

Almost done packing (this and all following photos are mine)

The next day things looked a lot better. Down to force five-six and sun. Down at Marstrand the rain began and the wind increased well into force six and veered to south at about the time I turn to a southerly course. I kept close to land to get a little lee behind small islands and rocks. The wind and rain stayed with me (or rather; against me) all day. Before passing outside Gothenburg harbor I hesitated for an hour or so (over an evening meal). It is open, unprotected with heavy commercial traffic, and it would have taken me hours to pass, and not many hours of daylight left. Kayaking accidents often occur late in the afternoon, when someone is trying to make up for lost mileage. But around seven the wind decreased to five, and I got going. Two hours of hard work against the wind and I reached the first island south of Gothenburg and could pitch the tent with almost an hour daylight left.

Lunch at island Malö
Lunch at island Malö

Rain all evening, rain all night and rain when I left island Rivö. During breakfast, I had a long discussion with a sheep – not quite sure what was agreed upon but she seemed happy and left. The sky was a dense grey and I anticipated rain all day. I tried to pay Johan and Sara on Escape Kayakcenter a visit, but they had not opened the shop – good idea by the way: who would come paddling on a day like this?

A preview of what the weather had in mind
A preview of what the weather had in mind

The trip down along Peninsula Onsala was a varied experience: rain, heavy rain or cloudburst. The headwind gained and I began to note a northerly current (at home I learned from a fisherman with GPS that there had been a northerly one knot current during the afternoon). A high-intensity workout for nine hours!

Thunderstorm at night at island Tornö
Thunderstorm at night at island Tornö – I left the camera shutter open for a couple of extended exposures, but did not manage to catch any of the intense lightning. The lights at the horizon are a ferry and a tanker.

Two days of hard work and wet hands led to blisters on the hands, to an extent I have never experienced.

Night at Tornö
Night at Tornö – with deafening frog concert at dusk and dawn.

At lighthouse Hallands Svartskär the sky cleared, the wind died and it became suddenly four to five degrees warmer, and somewhat surprised I sat in the afternoon sun after a nice swim with my supper at island Malö. The rest was easy and I passed island Utsö, power plant Ringhals and landed in Bua at about eight pm. 70 miles in two days, in rain, in a hard headwind and against a current. I was quite happy to step out of the kayak and into dry, clean clothes...

Island Lövö in the south of fjord Hakefjorden
Island Lövö in the south of fjord Hakefjorden

But back to the start: the first days were lovely. After leaving Bua I had two days of light winds in my back and sun from a blue sky – albeit with an intense thunderstorm keeping pace on the western horizon. As usual a lot of seals at the southern tip of Onsala. First night at Tornö, where I tried to catch the thunderstorm on photographs.

Island Stora Farholmen
Island Stora Farholmen in fjord Askeröfjorden. A night under the stars – the only time this trip.

Island Stora Farholmen
Island Stora Farholmen

The second day was also sunny, but with the wind slowly picking up from ahead. A chat with Johan at Escape Kayakcenter south of Gothenburg, and a lot of swim-and-coffee-breaks on islets and rocks, before pitching the tent at island Lövön in the south of the Hakefjorden. The longest daily run of the week: 40 NM.

Here we go again...
Here we go again...

Then everything fell apart. Out through Stigfjorden, south to Skärhamn, north to Mollösund, further north to Vallerö and Nordströmmarna, back through Stigfjorden – at the mercy of the wind. In Skärhamn on island Tjörn there was a wooden boat festival going on. Crowding. Long queue to the watercolor museum, even longer to the museums very fine restaurant, old hot bulb engines throbbing on wooden fixtures on the quay, beautiful wooden hulls under construction, handmade linseed oil and Stockholm tar for sale, lots of old boats on display along the floats and quays – the most beautiful of them all "Lady in Red": a hundred years old Pettersson boat, restored to an absolute unbelievable finish by Mats Stefansson on island Tjörn. After that a very nice and civilized meal at classy restaurant Pater Noster, at what probably was the only available table in Skärhamn then.

Old steamer Bohuslän on its way to Skärhamn
Old steamer Bohuslän on its way to Skärhamn

Adventurous night. After the wild surf along Stigfjorden I pitched my tent at the beach below Björnshuvudet (the bears head) - a magnificent and very prominent rock. I found some lee for the still hard easterly. But in the middle of the night, the wind unexpectedly changed into a westerly force seven and I had to move the tent and my other stuff in the rain half a mile across the peninsula to find new lee (my tent is not very reliable in winds like that from the wrong direction). During the walk, I lost my camera, my pouch with money, credit cards and my glasses – having to spend another half hour searching the path with a flashlight.

Björnhuvudet i western Stigfjorden
Björnhuvudet in western Stigfjorden (the nightly path)

My food planning was based on an old list from paddling with a group and had to be revised during the week. Since I normally paddled until almost dark, dinner was a break in the paddling instead of a social event with colleagues in the late afternoon – hence very little wine. No discussions around the campfire meant fewer peanuts, olives, and less chocolate.

Island Räbben at Kyrkesund
Island Räbben at Kyrkesund – a surprising sand beach and grassy field among the barren rocks.

Island Räbben at Kyrkesund
Island Räbben at Kyrkesund

The best meal was a late supper on Stora Farholmen: a plate of mache salad with added couscous of dinkel wheat, grilled halloumi cheese, with some acacia honey and roasted pine seeds. Mmmmmmm... (the only serious drawback was that wine cellar of the kayak at this time was unable to provide any red wine, so white wine it had to be!)

A crowded wooden boat festival at Skärhamn
A crowded wooden boat festival at Skärhamn

Talking about food I must mention the superb bread I brought from Lund! It is from an old-style bakery: sourdough, stone oven, the lot. By far the best kayak bread I have ever eaten. It kept soft and tasty and in one piece for eight full days! The pic below is from the eights day. Goodbye to all industrial bread caricatures I have been buying along the way on previous trips – dry, tasteless and turning to crumbs after a day in the kayak.

The galeas Atene at Kyrkesund
The galleass Atene at Kyrkesund

The worst meal I had was when I for the first time ever tried a dried meal of a well-known Swedish brand – lazily done when the chef's ambition was a bit low after a day in headwinds. How can anyone eat this disgusting glutamic glue-like goo? I just hope that the fishes of western Askeröfjorden did not suffer too much from the deposit.

Björnshuvudet one more time
Björnshuvudet one more time...

View from the tent at Björnshuvudet
View from the tent at Björnshuvudet

Oddly enough I did not meet another paddler during those nine days on the Halland and Bohuslän coasts. I saw two kayaks far off at Askerön and a double on the beach at Skärhamn. That´s all! Normally I would meet dozens of paddlers during a trip like this. Did they not like the weather?

The fantastic bread from Lund – day eight
The fantastic bread from Lund – day eight

Statistics. Total 240 NM. Longest daily run: 40 NM. The shortest: 10 NM. Daily mean: 26 NM. My original plans were to reach Grebbestad and Fjällbacka in Bohuslän, but with the weather and even more the predictions I was afraid of not making it back in the available time.

South of island Mjörn – small waters and forests
South of island Mjörn – small waters and forests

The best meal: grilled haloumi chese on maché salad with acacia honey and roasted pine seeds.
The best meal: grilled haloumi cheese on mache salad with acacia honey and roasted pine seeds.

The wind and rain tarp was often used – for one or both of the intended purposes. Quickly pitched on the spare paddle.t
The wind-and-rain tarp was often used – for one or both of the intended purposes. Quickly pitched with the spare paddle.

Söderut över Hakefjorden
View over Hakefjorden after being beaten by the headwind – it is a force eight out there

Lunch under a grey sky
Lunch under a grey sky - the bridge to Marstrand in the background

Morning at Rivö – Gothenburg in the backgorund
Morning at Rivö – Gothenburg in the background

The barren Onsala coast
The barren Onsala coast

Clouds lifting over island Malö
Clouds lifting over island Malö

(the plotted trip)


Back in Bua, I was invited to a late release party for the new website (a collaboration with me doing the visual design and front and back end programming) of Sassa Buregren, artist, author, and my sister. A drink up on the cliff in her back garden, then seafood plates at dusk in the garden (with oysters harvested earlier in the day at the lighthouse point), followed by grilled angler. At sunset cheese and fruit and later strawberries and ice cream, coffee, and avec. Mmmmmm...

Release party for Sassas new website
The release party for Sassas new website

I like release parties. Anybody in need of a website...?


Det såg ut som en kanontur trots vädret. Jag gillar faktiskt att vara ute när det är lite ruggigt. Regn gör inget men motvind kan vara riktigt knäckande.

Jag håller i grunden med. Halvannan vecka i sol och stiltje hade tråkat ut mig.

Regn medan man sitter i kajaken gör ingenting - oavsett intensitet (bortsett från praktiska konsekvenser som dålig sikt). Men regn flera dagar i rad när man slår läger eller bryter läger är trist - kläder och sängkläder blir sakta fuktigare bara av luftfuktigheten. Det behövs en solig blåsig dag då och då för att torka upp.

Motvind trivs jag generellt bra i. Jämnt och bra motstånd att arbeta mot, inget av ryckigheten i medvind/surf, och massor av frisk luft som blåser ner i lungorna bara man öppnar munnen. Men med en i förväg planerad dygnsdistans är det lite demoraliserande att motvind och motström sätter ner farten till hälften och man börjar ana att klockan blir framåt tio-elva på kvällen innan man är framme. Men 1. middagen smakar aldrig så bra och aldrig sover man så gott som när man med envishet fixat det trots förutsättningarna, och 2. en av finesserna med att paddla ensam är att man kan ändra planerna efter omständigheterna och ögonblickets ingivelse utan argumenterande och parlamenterande.

En nackdel med ensampaddlande är de ibland besvärliga beslutsituationer som uppstår och som måste hanteras utan att kunna konferera eller få andra synpunkter: var det rätt att bryta innan Wallhamnsöverfarten eller kunde jag ha fortsatt enligt planen? Var det dumt att chansa på en överfart vid Göteborgs i dåliga förhållanden och sent på dagen? Kanske hade varit bättre att ta det på morgonen utan en hel dags motvindspaddling i armar och huvud? Med facit i hand blev båda besluten rätt.

Hej Björn

Delar dina erfarenheter av vädret. Jag var själv ute med 2 kamrater i dessa vatten under förra veckan, jag i min Isfjord, kamraterna i Black Pearl respektive Kavat. Vi hade hård motvind på stigfjorden och låg inblåsta på Björnhuvudet, i samma fd sandtag du tycks ha haft läger. Och regn. Men vilken känsla! När man väl kommit hem och torkat upp vill man ut igen!



fina bilder. Fin tur. Håller helt med om att lite sämre väder er roligare fast nogon dag med stiltje och sol havde vel varit trevligt. Nere i Skåne blåste det lite måtligare, dock nog til at min gräns nåddes, och jag fick sålunde (ofrivilligt) testad re-entry and roll i vågor et par gångar.

Dette leder mig fram til et snabb fråga: SMHI viser ena dagen 6 m/s från väst i Malmö och när man vel är ute så går der rejäla vågor på sundet och även bränningen mot lommabuktens långrunn känns läskiga. Et par tre dager senare igen 6 m/s från Väst på SMHI men nu finns knapt nåt som rör sig i vattenyttan. -för samma vatten och samma vindstyrka och riktning borde vel vågorna vara indentiska? - At SMHI saknar detalj i sina gratisprognoser vet jag, men är det så illa med precisionen i vindmätninger? Eller finns der annat som har inflytande på vågors storlek? Jag använder nästen altid väderprognoserne för at veta om det er läge at ge sig ut eller inte.

DMI har lite bättre detaljprecision - dels genom att avtalet med staten innebär att man bjuder på mer i gratisprognosen än vad SMHI gör (t ex våghöjds- och dyningsprognos) och dels genom att DMI har små prognosområden (Danmark är ett till ytan litet land).

Men Öresund är lurigt. Strömmar, det lilla men varierande vattendjupet, reflektioner mot stränder, intensiv fartygstrafik som skapar överlagrat svall mm gör att sjön ofta är krabb och svårförutsägbar.

Riktningen är också viktig. Med rak väst blir uppbyggnadssträckan kort (Saltholm 17-18 km bort) och vågorna små, med västsydväst finns en "fetch" nerifrån Köge bukt på 60 km och lite större vågor.

Har det precis börjat blåsa är vågorna små, har det blåst ett par dagar har de hunnit få maxstorlek etc...

paddling/meteorology/waves.aspx finns lite allmänt om fetch och tid.

Hej Björn

Jag paddlade i min Njord, från andra hållet under vecka 29 tisdag kväll till fredag e-middag från Hunnebostrand till Åsa i Halland.

Paddlade på tisdagen i växlande väder från strax söder om Kungshamn till Rönnang använde aleutpaddel (2,26m) hela dagen. På onsdag förmiddag blåste det ganska hårt SV 10-m/s. Bytte padddel till en pagaj med skaft 31*33mm och 2,20m lång. Efter ca 2,5 tim paddling vid Brunskär söder om Marstrand fick jag smärtor i vänster handled ca 5 cm från handleden på tumsidan. Avbröt paddlingen gick in till Brunskär vilade ca 2,5 tim smärtan i handleden släppte dock inte. Vädret hade dock blivit bättre; jag bytte till aleutpaddeln och fortsatte paddlinge mot Rävholmen i Gbg södra skärgård, var extremt noga med paddeltekniken, skäddautslag och viktfördelningen; lärde mig nog en del om paddling på kuppen. Nästa dag var vädret perfekt vindstilla hela dagen så jag fortsatte mot Åsa dit jag anlände på fredag e-middag ca 18. Jag borde naturligtvis avbrutet paddlingen vid Brunskären. Till saken hör att jag är relativt vältränad och paddlar ca 100 tim effektivt/år brukar också paddla DKM varje men det känns tveksamt om det blir i år (anmäld). Besvikelsen att inte kroppen höll var onekligen stor då jag planerar att paddla HBB nästa år. Har ätit inflammationsdämpare sedan händelsen. Efter en vecka hade svullnaden gått ner så jag testade men det höll endast ca 0,5 tim. Har även fått akupunktur och manupilation av handleden.

Har du eller någon annan läsare liknande erfarenhet.

Jag har för flera år sedan haft ont i en armbåge - förmodligen en kombination av musarm och paddelöveransträngning. Det var i det sammanhanget jag bytte till grönlandspaddel, vilket tillsammans med lite ändringar av arbetsställning (ritplatta istället för musen) fixade problemen ganska snabbt.

Under så krävande paddlingar som årets långa etapper i motvind och -ström, kan jag från och till känna lite obehag i en handled, armbåge eller axel, men med lite anpassning av motoriken (ändra fördelningen drag/tryck eller trycka med rakare arm t ex) brukar det försvinna tämligen snabbt.

Men som helhet har jag varit förskonad från annat än snabbt övergående problem. Jag smickrar mig med att det kanske beror på att jag jobbat extremt mycket med utveckling av en energisnål och lågintensiv teknik, med minimal belastning av rörelseapparaten.

Vad jag däremot drabbades av mer än vanligt i år är skavsår och blåsor. Två dygn i ösregn mjukade upp händerna och de långa passen i hård motvind fixade resten. Ett par tunna handskar hade kanske hjälpt, men jag har aldrig använt handskar under sommarhalvåret. Blåsorna hamnade där de skall, därigenom visande att greppet i paddeln är det jag vill (löst och öppet): på fingrarnas mittenled och valken vid fingerroten. Det tog ett par dagar efter hemkomsten innan fingrarna var tillbaka i full användbarhet.

Vidare har jag ätit lättare: mindre kött och mindre kolhydrater (bröd-pasta-gryn) och mer grönsaker, fisk, rotsaker, nötter. Inga konserver alls och ingen skräpmat (med undantag för den räliga Blåbandspåsen – fast den åt jag egentligen inte; en tugga var mer än nog!).

Jag har inte tid för Dalsland i år (kolliderande engagemang), men planererar att paddla Orust runt den 22-23 augusti - en tävling precis i min smak (gärna med lite dåligt väder så jag inte blir alltför långt efter de långa ranka kajakerna).

Intressant läsning om paddling, tack! Nu är det sommar och drivor av fängslande människor ramlar in på antikvariatet. Svenskar är ett läsande folk.

Jag har ALLTID handskar på händerna, året runt. En tunnare trädgårdshandske i bomull inne i den blå fingerhandsken från det numer försvunna vadbinderiet i Simrishamn. Jag blir kall av vilket vatten som helst och det känns konstigt, eftersom 25 minusgrader i fjällen inte generade mina bara händer ett dugg. Vatten kyler mer.

Hur som helst, igår var jag ute med min Igdlorssuit och naturligtvis mina smala pagajer. Jag paddlar ju inte så enormt långt - till Vik kanske man kan säga långt, men ni andra har kanske många fler timmar i händerna. Jag har aldrig fått ont någonstans, aldrig haft blåsor, har alltid klivit ur kajaken nöjd och glad. Jag trycker paddeln framåt, använder ben och knän som mothåll, har mycket målmedvetet (och sakta) nött in paddeltagen som du Björn så excellent beskrivit. 6 timmar i kajaken känns som normal paddling. Men jag paddlar ju året runt härute...

Framförallt - den grönländska paddel har sin stora fördel i att paddlaren inte sitter fixerad med sina händer på den. Man kan sträcka ut bladet ur långt som helst vid en stöttning, eller man kanske vill ha en kraftigare puls på en sida. Jag har varken skädda eller roder, kroppen, paddeln, ben, knän, allt samverkar. Framförallt får man en frihet i vågorna, man märker att det inte finns några komplikationer. Med vågorna, naturligtvis som Björn sagt tidigare, inte mot dem om det kan förstås i ett större sammanhang.

Post a comment